Friday, February 26, 2016

Gokyo Ri: Part II

Bismillah..

Actually I'm quite pissed that I accidentally posted the incomplete part 1 but past is past so let me just continue with our story...

We arrived that morning in Lukla and met our porters at the airport. They were very young. Songer was 19 and Jolopuru was only 16. They were shy at first and our communication with them was quite limited due to language barrier. But after a few days, all of us got along very well and started to tease each other. They taught us some Sherpa words and in return we taught them some English and Malay words. Jolopuru wished to be a guide in the future and he was working hard to improve his English
.





On the first day we walked from Lukla to our first stop in Phakding. We went up and down some hills but they were not too steep and since we were only at about 2800m above sea level, the oxygen level was still okay and I was not that tired. We reached our teahouse in Phakding before sunset. It was off season and I remember there were only about 5 hikers spending the night there.




One thing that stuck in my mind about this place is the chef looked like Radhi OAG!!! So we were actually staring at him while he was cooking in the kitchen. There was an opening that they use to pass food from the kitchen to the waiter and we could see him clearly through that opening hahaha



Well, due to lack of research before the trip, we were not aware that heaters are not available inside the rooms. And what makes it even colder at night is that the walls are made of plywood. And yes, this applies to all lodging including the one in Gokyo. Luckily we were provided with a super thick sleeping bags by our tour operator so the sleeping bags were the only ones that had kept us warm. So, TIPS!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you have a sufficiently insulating long john for comfortable night sleep and also to keep you warm while indoor.


Since it was low season, to my despair at that time, there were no wifi and to MR's despair there were no bread too! They don't bring up bread at low season and they only have this home made roti which taste good anyway hehe





The second day, I would say is the toughest of all the days because we had to trek from ~2400m to ~3400m where there is a big village called Namche Baazar and it was all climbing up and up and up all the way. At this part of the journey, I couldn't afford to wait for my friends because I easily get tired if I don't keep up with my own pace and we were separated. I was walking with different people on my way up. You won't get lost because the footpath is very clear.




The first part of this leg had one of the most beautiful scenery. At ~2500m everything was still green and the trees were still tall. There was a rapidly flowing river on our left and we were walking on rocks as we head to the suspension bridge set on a hill. The suspension bridge was exactly the one featured in 2015 Everest movie. Everybody uses this suspension bridge; and when I said EVERYBODY that includes the yaks and the donkeys. There's a weight limit of course, so we queued with the other hikers as we wait for our turn to cross the bridge.

It started to drizzle in the afternoon and I quickened my pace in hope to find a small village or something to get some shelter if the rain gets harder. But there was no other village in between and finally I found the check point hut where I waited for my friends for about an hour or more. I chat with a hiker from Norway who was actually on his third trip to the Everest Base Camp. He showed me his climbing permit and said, "Look. Here it says 'Once is not enough'. You have to believe that."


And it was here where I met si kacak panas, Sudan, who was a guide and also the founder of his tour company. We talked about Go Pro and he recommended some other nice treks that I might try in the future. He gave me his card and it is safely kept in my drawer until this very day lalalala~


No comments: