Saturday, June 13, 2015

Tanzania Part I

Bismillah...

Greetings from Istanbul! (^^)/
Yes, I'm writing this in Istanbul. Got some free time to relax my sore feet while waiting for Maghrib prayer so I decided to write a bit about our Tanzania trip on June 2014. Hehe mo setahun bha baru tulis kaaannnn

Anyway, I've written about our preparation in another post. I will make a label for Tanzania later.

So, it all started with a lot of emails between me and the manager. The route actually goes like this

KL-Qatar-Dares Salam-Kilimanjaro Airport

Dares Salam Airport


Actually,  we can reach the Kilimanjaro region by bus which takes around 10 hours with a much cheaper price than flight ticket but due to time constraints,  we opt to take Fastjet which cost us RM 331 return ticket.

To be honest, I didn't know what to expect in Tanzania. Having heard a lot about violence in the continent, I had misleading impression about the people there. When we arrived, most of the people were staring at us and we felt somewhat frightened.  But after a few days, after several encounters of people who can't even tell where we were from when they try to guess where we were from and some have never heard about our country, we then knew that the only reason they were staring was they never see people like us. They stare because  they were just curious. I refused to roll down my window when a walking vendor wanted to talk to us.. I still feel bad about it.. We did chat with him through a very tiny opening of the car window (^^")

Our tour package includes airport pickup so there was a man holding a paper with my name written on it when we arrived. It took more than an hour to get to our hotel but I enjoyed the journey very much. Another thing that surprised me was Tanzania is so green and along the way you can see sunflowers. There were sunflower field everywhere!

Sunflowers~ Sorry la jeep kami laju banget~


We stayed in Panama hotel which is also included in the package. It's very basic but clean and cozy. They had free breakfast where you can choose from the menu. Ada satu lagi yang buat aku rasa bersalah. I was looking at the buffet breakfast and was opening the covers of every pans they placed on the counter before deciding which one to take.  Tiba-tiba tu waitress tanya, "Dirty?"

I was surprised, of course. Lalu aku pon menjawab, "No. Not at all. I was just looking. And not yet decide.."

I don't know if she saw me frowned or anything but it didn't cross my mind at all if the prepared food was dirty. I was just curious how African cuisine will look like (^^")

Anyway, Stephan picked us up that morning at the hotel and we met our cook, Edi. We head for Tarangire National Park that day. It was our second day in Tanzania and masih  sakai2 lagi kan. We saw this guy at the side of the road, bare-skinned, and his face and body was painted with white stripes and dots. Dan aku yang tekejot ni pon bertanya, "What's that?" because I just can't believe what I saw since the jeep was zooming in full speed on the highway. Then Stephan told me, that was a Masai who just got circumcised waiting to become a warrior. And RA and I went 'Ooooooo'

And then there were people walking on the side of the road all the time, even in deserted places where there were no houses, no farms, no grazing field, no crops, no nothing. "Where are these people going? I didn't see any village for the past.. hurm.. perhaps 20 km" Then Stephan explained that these people might have been walking since morning from places many kilometres away from their villages. They prefer to walk and  if it gets too late they might hitch hike. Another 'Ooooooo' from the back seat...



K la nanti ai sambung :p

No comments: